3/26/2007

Felting experimentation: Lincoln longwool

OOOh this wool creates some thick felt...perfect for a durable all weather bicycle handle bag!
I found a pattern I like at knitty.com . I want to make mine turquoise, royal blue, purple, with a touch of golden yellow. I'm not sure how it will turn out if I navajo ply it. *scratching head*

This was some lincoln that I spun up months and months ago that was navajo plyed and about worsted wieght, knit on size 13 needles. It lost about two inches when felted (which I did by hand and BOY are my hand cleaner than they have ever been!! Squeaky clean!!). This one will get dubbed a dish washing cloth since it is still very large and thick. I plan on using the pattern at knitty, but making the bag more box like than bag. I want a wider bottom and shorter sides. SO I will just add more rows to the bottom and stop when it is two inches higher than I will want. Then when it is felted and dry, I will spritz with mineral oil to make it water proof. I could not think of any other kind of oil that would be suitable to waterproofing felt.





Dinner time!!





Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Most comments will be published right away except for you pathetic spammers who's messages will never see the light of day. If you are offended by having to fill one a "prove you are not a robot" form, my goodness...chill out! It takes two seconds to do and saves me a ton spam to have to filter through and it takes two seconds, MAX. If you are that easily offended, maybe you should simply not comment, and seek some counseling.