8/13/2015

Milkweed fiber, AGAIN, after 8 years!


Yeap.

What? What, happened??
I'm at it again.

Click here for the original post about harvesting Milkweed for fiber. (opens in a new window)

I was on a bike ride and saw this HUGE swatch of swamp land that was mowed over for one reason or another and in the mess, where TONS of cut down milkweeds. Such a waste.


 So I went in after them and collected this mighty pile of cut down milkweeds. I checked the fresher ones for Monarch eggs and found three of them and one TINY 'piller.


Egg

Weeeeeeeeed, man.
MILKweed.

'Piller!



And I saw this fuzzy wuzzy on several of the mostly dead milkweeds and decided to bring it home. Apparently they are 'pillers of the tussock moth. They may get put back out in the wild, on a live milkweed that has no Monarch eggs or 'pillers. With four Monarchs, they are gonna be a handful to feed on top of the silk worms on the way. Yes, I got that itch to grow silk again. It's just so damn FUN!! Now that I feel better, I want to do everything I used to enjoy ALL AT THE SAME TIME! It may prove to be a big mistake, but it keeps me busy, and motivated.


Tussock Moth 'Piller 


And while I was exploring all the butchered bits of swaplands, I found all these crane feathers! I think the one on the right is an Owl feather.


It was a crazy, adventerous day in the hot sun, but the wind was blowing pretty well most of the day so it kept me cooler and I had plenty of water with me. I did get a bit of a burn on my arms, but it's not too bad.  


Until next time...
***All content is Copyright year and date of posting, and are the sole property of C4G/CCW unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction of any part of this website (text, photo's, etc)is strictly prohibited (linking to the post is OK). I've had to revert to moderating all comments due to spammers.***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Most comments will be published right away except for you pathetic spammers who's messages will never see the light of day. If you are offended by having to fill one a "prove you are not a robot" form, my goodness...chill out! It takes two seconds to do and saves me a ton spam to have to filter through and it takes two seconds, MAX. If you are that easily offended, maybe you should simply not comment, and seek some counseling.