9/17/2006

Quick Sweet Pickles

MMMm my pickles came out so well this year! They are crunchy, not soggy like last years try.

Here's the recipie I used:

Cut ends of small pickling cukes, slice longways twice (or leave whole if smaller than 4 inches). Wash in cold water, place in bowl, sprinkle 1/3 cup kosher salt over them and add 2 inches of ICE on top. Place in fridge overnight and drain in the morning.

In a pan desolve 4 1/2 cups of sugar in 3 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar, add 2 to 3 tables spoons of premixed pickling spices-simmer for 10 minutes. Preheat this mixture before pouring over raw cukes.

Place RAW cukes in warm to hot starilized jar (boil jars and lids in large pan for 10 minutes). What I do is boil the jars and lids right before packing them so the jars don't shatter. Be sure to use mason jars as most others will not tolerate the change in temps and will indeed shatter (don't ask me how I know this).

Pour warm pickling juice (the cider cooked with sugar and spices) over the RAW cukes, leaving 1/2 to 1/4 inch head to allow for steam, screw lid on ASAP and place into fridge right away.

Leave in fridge anywhere from 3-8 weeks. I usually cannot wait 8 weeks so I begin snacking on them after 6 weeks.

They come out sweet and crunchy!!

Place some garlic, onion, and/or peppers in with the pickles for some interesting flavorings and add variety in pickled items. I love sweet pickled cloves of garlic.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Most comments will be published right away except for you pathetic spammers who's messages will never see the light of day. If you are offended by having to fill one a "prove you are not a robot" form, my goodness...chill out! It takes two seconds to do and saves me a ton spam to have to filter through and it takes two seconds, MAX. If you are that easily offended, maybe you should simply not comment, and seek some counseling.