8/25/2013

Who said weekends were for resting?!!

Corn and Pumpkins from the garden plot
Wow, have I been a busy bee this weekend. Gosh, where to start. Let's start with Friday.
After coming home from work, I promply biked over to the grocery, returned home to drop off the goods then headed to the garden plot. I was greeted with quite the sight! I have pumpkins!! Sugar pumpkins!! This is the first in many years that I have had success with pumpkins. And corn! I planted some Painted Mountain Flour Corn and I am harvesting away at those as well. I still have some to pick because I ran out of room on my bike to carry my booty home. I ended up having to walk the bike because I was so afriad the back tire would not hold up to all the extra weight. I weigh 240 , those pumpkins all together had to have weighed over 50 because I could barely lift the back of the bike to turn it around!
Corn drying in the now empty greenhouse
So I bring that all home and deal with where to store them until I can get to the process of perserving.
The corn went outside on Saturday since we have a heat wave rolling through, complete with heat index warnings that kept me indoors with the AC on most of the time. I do enjoy going outside to drink my coffee in the mornings before the heat starts. Thankfully the nights are cool. I didn't get much done Saturday because my back is in sore need of adjusting so I ache very easily. There's just no money for it right now. I am hoping to get in next week if rent is covered. If not, I will have to endure through till mid September. Thankfully it is not keeping me from sleeping.


Progress on the applique on the wall quilt. Starting the sewing on that today.









I was a processing fool today. I made some macerated strawberries Saturday evening along with some macerated tomatoes for this preserving recipe. I am drowning in maters!! I think, maybe, I just went a little overboard in planting them this year. Twelve plants in two plots. YIKES!! Those sat out overnight. I had too much of the strawberries to fit into my jam jar so it sat out most of the day. When I came back to it after pressure canning the tomato conserve, it had begun fermenting! So, I decided to put that into a jar with an airlock. Impromptu strawberry liqueur! After that I got some sourdough starter going, and made something found in the book Wild Fermentation called Gv-no-he-nv, a Cherokee fermented corn beverage (left of strawberry jar). Next to that jar are two jars of home-made laundry soap in the works. I chose the no cook method so I could get to it when I could. On the far left is my one gallon lacto-fermenting jar, AKA Fermented Veggie Master / Perfect Pickler (I made this one, and the other one, for half the cost of those I have linked to) with no cukes in it yet because they are still soaking in a cold bath. This batch is gonna be SWEET dill pickles. And then of course behind it all is my bounty from the garden(s).

Whew! I think it's about time to relax with some DS:9 and some hand applique to sew. Yeap. I am hoping to go swimming tomorrow but I won't be holding my breath (HA!). Sometimes things don't always go as planned.




Stick a pin in it!



Until next time...

***All content is Copyright year and date of posting, and are the sole property of C4G/CCW unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction of any part of this website(text, photo's, etc)is strictly prohibited(linking to the post is OK).***





1 comment:

  1. You have been busy! I am very impressed with your pumpkins! They can grow themselves some years and this looks like a bumper crop. Also that bike riding has to be good for your well-being. You are leading a sweet life these days. Also, I love how the wall hanging is coming along. More pictures! Love em!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! Most comments will be published right away except for you pathetic spammers who's messages will never see the light of day. If you are offended by having to fill one a "prove you are not a robot" form, my goodness...chill out! It takes two seconds to do and saves me a ton spam to have to filter through and it takes two seconds, MAX. If you are that easily offended, maybe you should simply not comment, and seek some counseling.